Friday, August 20, 2010

What's YOUR Problem?

About a year ago my father told me a story.

29 years ago, give or take, my mother was pregnant. With me, obviously. There was some... Thing, I don't know specifically what but both her and I were in trouble. She was induced in an attempt to prevent death or something (details are sketchy at best) and I entered the world with the umbilical cord around my throat. Tight.

I was put into one of those plastic boxes with the holes in so the doctors can poke the baby to make sure it's still alive for like, 3 days or something. Was touch and go for a bit. Doctors said that if I survived I'd have brain damage.

So here we are.

Years of head injuries and alcohol and drug abuse haven't exactly helped my case.

A few months ago I started imparting this knowledge upon people one on one, as some sort of quite literally retarded 12 step program but in my haste I missed a lot of people in the process. So now you know.

I have trouble concentrating, learning things (hence my problems with education) and basic social interaction.

A while back I told my good friend Kate about this and she suggested getting tested, scanned or whatever to find out exactly what is wrong. This scared the shit out of me. Ignorance is bliss, people.


What I'm trying to get at is this is why I'm kinda odd sometimes. I don't want pity, just understanding. I want you to know that this is why I am, finding out why does not change who I am, I've always been me, I'll always be Robert.

That's the truth.

Thank you.

1 comment:

metaVirus said...

Touching Robert. You seem fine to me. :)